Maidenhead United to visit Pontefract Collieries or Halifax Town in FA Cup first round

Josh Kelly. Photo: Elise O’Brien


Maidenhead United will travel to either Pontefract Collieries or FC Halifax Town in the first round of the FA Cup next month as they look to make it through to the second-round proper for the first time since the 1886-7 season.

On Saturday they secured their first victory in nine attempts as they secured a 3-1 win over Isthmian League South East high-flyers Hastings United at York Road.

Sam Barratt thumped them ahead in the early stages before Kane Ferdinand hooked home their second after Josh Kelly's direct run at the heart of the Hastings' defence. The visitors hit back before half-time, but Nathan Blissett grabbed a crucial third at the Bell Street end, pouncing to hook home after Barratt's shot was parried out by the keeper.

The first-round ties will take place over the weekend of November 5-8, with the clash likely to take place on the Saturday unless it's picked up for TV coverage.

Pontefract Collieries of the Northern Premier League Division One East held Maidenhead's National League rivals to a goalless draw on Saturday with the replay set to take place at The Shay tomorrow night (Tuesday).

The Magpies got the better of Halifax in their opening game of the season, Ferdinand curling home a late winner to get Alan Devonshire's side off to the perfect start, winning seven of their next 10 matches to move third in the table.

Pontefract haven't had the best of seasons so far at step 4 and currently sit 16th in a 19-team league with just two wins from 10 matches.

Winning clubs will receive £22,629 from the competition's prize fund.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles

LIVE: GCSE results day

LIVE: GCSE results day

Thousands of young people across the area are collecting their GCSE results this morning. We'll be bringing you live updates throughout the morning.

1 comment
Man, 67, extradited to face sexual assault charges

Man, 67, extradited to face sexual assault charges

A 67-year-old man has been extradited from Spain to face serious sexual assault charges. Harry Raymond Kelk faces two charges of rape, one of kidnap and one of false imprisonment relating to the kidnap and rape of a 14-year-old girl in Winnersh in July 1981.