Maidenhead Women's 1sts pick up first point of the season against Reading 2nds

Maidenhead women’s first team picked up their first point of the season on Saturday from a 1-1 draw with Reading 2nds at Altwood School.

The result lifts them off the bottom of the South Central Hockey League Premier Division 1, above Winchester Women who also have just a point from their opening four matches.

It’s been a difficult campaign so far for Maids, who were beaten 4-0 by local rivals Marlow on the opening day before losing 4-1 at home to Oxford 1sts the following week. There were signs of improvement in their narrow 2-1 defeat to Sonning, but this first positive result of the season should give the team a much-needed lift going into their next match at Henley 1sts on Saturday, October 30.

Having chalked up their first victory of the season in impressive style, a 7-4 win over Winchester at Altwood, Maidenhead Men’s 1sts had last weekend off with several of the players attending Phil Cowell’s wedding. They were due to play at Banbury and that game will now take place on Tuesday evening at 8pm. Maids will then take on Henley 1sts at home the following Saturday.

Also, on Saturday the men’s 2nd team were held to a 2-2 draw by Henley 2nds, but the women’s 2nd team were beaten 3-0 away from home by Aylesbury 1sts in South Central Women’s Division 1 North. There was also a painful 7-1 defeat for the men’s 3rds at Wycombe 3rds.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles

LIVE: GCSE results day

LIVE: GCSE results day

Thousands of young people across the area are collecting their GCSE results this morning. We'll be bringing you live updates throughout the morning.

1 comment
Man, 67, extradited to face sexual assault charges

Man, 67, extradited to face sexual assault charges

A 67-year-old man has been extradited from Spain to face serious sexual assault charges. Harry Raymond Kelk faces two charges of rape, one of kidnap and one of false imprisonment relating to the kidnap and rape of a 14-year-old girl in Winnersh in July 1981.